The COVID-19 pandemic dramatically changed how Canadians work, and the post-secondary sector is no exception as it quickly adapted to remote work arrangements to keep their workforce healthy, safe, and productive.
Disruption creates opportunity, and as the pandemic continued to evolve, many institutions have seen opportunities to make significant changes to how, where and when work can be performed. Institutions are now exploring new opportunities and approaches resulting from the pandemic in terms of whether flexible work arrangements could be adopted, to what extent and how it can be achieved in a strategic manner.
CAUBO has undertaken a project to develop a toolkit of resources to support members as they develop plans and policies for their post-pandemic workplace. In April, a report highlighting the results of the December 2021 Hybrid Work Arrangements Survey was released, which provided information on members’ plans and considerations regarding remote or hybrid work arrangements for staff.
In addition to the survey report, two more components have been added to the toolkit, and are now available for members:
- Emerging Post-Pandemic Work Arrangements in Canadian Universities – This report provides additional insights into member plans for implementing remote or hybrid work arrangements as well as their experience so far regarding their approach. The report also summarizes take-aways based on follow-up interviews with twelve selected institutions.
- A collection of institutional tools and resources developed by members – This resource has been assembled to provide practical assistance for universities as they implement alternate work arrangements for the “post-pandemic” future. The toolkit contains sample materials from a selection of universities that have made progress in considering the post-pandemic workplace.
The toolkit includes links to sample documents such as:
- Flexible work policies, guidelines, frameworks, or programs.
- Communications to employees about flexible work.
- Flexible work procedures and forms.
- Learning materials for leaders related to leading a remote or hybrid workforce.
- Learning materials for employees about working in a hybrid or remote environment.
Stay tuned for additional resources! The full toolkit will be available in late spring 2022.