The CAUBO Board met on November 19 and discussed the state of the pandemic, its impact on in-person events in general and the CAUBO 2022 conference format in particular, in addition to members’ ability to travel in 2022.
After assessing the key considerations in determining the format for CAUBO 2022, we will be moving forward with a hybrid conference with the in-person component being held in Edmonton from June 12–14, 2022. The conference will follow our typical schedule, with functional (pre-conference) seminars on Sunday followed by full days of plenary and concurrent sessions on Monday and Tuesday.
Furthermore, in order to accommodate members who cannot travel to Edmonton or who may not be comfortable with in-person conferences, we will offer a virtual ticket so that they can take-in the rich conference content from the comfort of their office or home.
For those attending in person, the health and safety of our members, sponsors and vendors is paramount to CAUBO. For this reason, and based on member feedback, we will be implementing some changes to the CAUBO 2022 format and considering several new protocols to be implemented on-site.
- Based on member feedback that indicated varying degrees of comfort levels in attending social events at CAUBO 2022, we will be holding one social event: a Welcome Reception, to be held outdoors (weather permitting).
- Members will have the option of selecting a conference registration package that includes or excludes a ticket to the Welcome Reception.
- We will not be holding a Farewell Event.
- We will not be holding an Optional Event (usually held on the Saturday preceding the conference).
- We will not be offering a companion’s ticket given limited capacity in the meeting rooms once social distancing measures are implemented.
- Mandatory vaccinations for all attendees, exhibitors, and suppliers (vaccine passports to be presented at registration)
- Wearing masks when walking around the event but not required once seated at a session or meal
- Limiting the number of delegates per meeting room (1-meter distance between seats)
- Hand sanitizer stations
- Touchless event registration check-in
- Mandating venue staff to wear masks
- More space between trade show booths
- No handouts or swag to be handed out by vendors
- Buffet meals with servers handling the food
- Pre-packaged snacks where available
We will continue to monitor how the situation is evolving in the months leading up to the conference, and if it is unsafe to hold an in-person conference, or if legislation changes making it impossible, we will pivot to a fully virtual format.
Member Feedback Survey – Launching January 2022
In order to guide our planning, we would like to hear from you (again). We conducted a survey in August 2021; however, we hope to gain more insight in early 2022 as to your desire and ability to participate in CAUBO 2022 and in what format. Stay tuned for the next CAUBO 2022 Member Survey coming to your in-box in early January 2022.
We look forward to delivering this new hybrid model in collaboration with our CAUBO 2022 hosts: