CAUBO’s Data Insights series highlights key financial trends in the university sector. The Data Insights provide concise, yet fact-based analysis of some of the sector’s most pressing risks and challenges.
The first two entries in the series, released last year, addressed the changing patterns in spendable income and general operating expenditures. They have now been updated to reflect rapidly changing patterns in the university sector. The updated entries in the series are available at the links below:
- Changing Patterns in University Revenues—addresses the ongoing shift in the composition of operating income at Canadian universities and underscores that tuition revenues have become increasingly consequential given that government revenues continue to decline as a proportion of funding, focusing on the sector’s increasing reliance on more volatile sources of income such as those stemming from international students.
- Changing Patterns in General Operating Expenditures—examines the concurrent shift that has occurred in expenditures at Canadian universities, highlighting the factors that have driven changes in spending patterns between various expenditures types (including faculty compensation) and across functions.
To continue our support of members’ data driven-approach to assessing institutional finances, CAUBO offers a specialized service for members. For a nominal fee, members can receive an institution-specific financial landscape that provides analysis on their institution’s unique financial trends and situation.
If your institution is interested in answering critical questions such as:
- How does the funding landscape at your institution compare to national or provincial trends or to those seen at peer institutions?
- Is the performance and asset allocation of your institution’s investment pool comparable to peer institutions?
- Does your institution’s rate of operating spending vary from provincial trends or that of peer institutions? Are there underlying trends within certain expense types such as academic salaries and benefits?
- Overall, is your institution showing any signs of weakness compared to peers regarding its financial health, based on key metrics like the Primary Reserve Ratio and Interest Burden Ratio?
Request an Institutional Landscape tailored to your institution by completing the form available here.